May 7, 2009

My first (question) post...Its a thinker:p

So this is a question that came up over dinner at Ruby Tuesdays tonight, one that I thought I would ask y'all opinion on...Is there a difference between fear and respect and if so, which is more effective in, oh lets say, a Drill Sgt line of work? Robert's 4th day on the job yielded the concern that maybe he is not enough of a (hard ass) because the privates do not seem to fear him...In fact they flock to him...However, these young men/older men seem to respect him greatly and strive for his approval...This he has noted...I feel that he is right on track. I know that the typical image of a Drill Sgt. is rock hard and mean as a snake but is this truly effective and necessary to gain compliance and respect? Isn't that really what they are trying to achieve in those nine weeks anyhow? Here is my take on it...Everyone has a style that works best for them. Yes, there are guide lines and rules of being a Drill Sgt. but one Drill Sgt. way of doing things might not work for the next Drill Sgt. Robert is definitely NOT a mean ass, even though this job encourages/wants him to be. He is naturally a teacher and mentor and loves to see his time and effort take flight in those he is instructing. So naturally he would be the approachable type as this is just his makeup...These men are (genuinely) locked into everything Robert says and truly takes it to heart. They seem to WANT his opinion on how to become better at this or that, where as some of the other Drill Sgt. have such a huge wall around them that the privates cannot even get close. I personaly do not feel he has anything to worry about as the privates still approach him in a respectful manner, at parade rest with hands behind back and asks for permission to speak. Robert has also established that he will continue to, relatively speaking, "have that ass" when ever they step out of line so there is definitely that distinction there...In fact, just yesterday, one of the privates asked that Robert keep up the level of strictness because he felt like their platoon needed that. What do you ladies think? Is he right on track; approaching this new position with the (right) ending result in tact? Or do you think the traditional way of a Drill Sgt. is still best? Using fear to gain respect, but then, at the end of the day is it really respect? Ahhhhh, such a fine line there!

13 comments:

  1. He sounds like he's got it going on....Josh is a little older and has been thru it all before but he basically plays into the "game" for the drill sgts that think they are so hot to trot. He respects the other style much more and he tries harder for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing about the military, but I think respect is more important. It sounds like your husband is doing everything right. As long as there is still that line that the privates don't cross and they continue to respect his authority, I don't see a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds eo me like your hubby is an amazing guy and drill sgt. The other sgts are probablly giving him grief b/c they want to be like him LOL!
    i will ask my hubby what he thinks and send him your way if i talk to him today. im sure he would love to answer!!! he always has great advice! :)

    oh and i cannot believe that those kids were caught in the stall. ugh. and that poor boy!!! im glad im not the only one who feels that he should be participating.lol. thanks for your comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like Robert is going about it the right way. I think respect is more important because people will listen to you and do what you ask whether they fear or respect you. The difference though, at the end of the day, I think they will work harder for you if they respect you because they will want your approval...if you tell them to wash your car, they will go a step farther and wax it as well if they respect you. As an Officer (and a young one at that) Stonewall goes through this fairly often. Should he be a dick like some other Officers to get the results he wants or should he earn the respect of his guys first to get the results that he wants?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Robert's doing a good job. I think he's just going to have to find that happy medium where they respect him, listen to him and do what he says yet still have a little fear in them about being around him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im not sure lol. DOnt I give good answers to advice!? haha.

    We are at Wainwright. Spill it about growing up amish because I totally want to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's how they all should act. Bumz is the same. He'll totally listen to all other opinions.

    For example when he first got to Iraq he was telling 40 and 30 yr olds how to do their job. Sortaaaa awkward when they've already been to Iraq 3-4 times! You have to listen to them though! You have to listen to everyone in order to be a leader.

    And good for Robert for being on this path!! Sounds like he's doing phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh and i just wanted to say thanks for the runahead thingy...i love it and totally agree with you...its majorly addicting! i love to add to it just to make it grow! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know nothing about the militaty or what it takes to be a drill SGT.

    However, I have coached cheerleading. High school cheerleading. And I have been very successful at the state and national level. And teenagers VS the Army are VERY different but I think I needed both respect and fear from my kids in order to drive them to success.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOO that is so tough. My hubs has a similar leadership style. Unfortunately it has opened him (and other NCO's I know personally) up to the chopping block; unfortunately (again) some of these recruits/"Joe's" are just going to take advantage. Some may see his fairmindedness as a weakness. There definitely needs to be an even balance between fear and respect. I think it's a lot like Parenting; Now I was never abused (in anyway) but I did have a healthy amount of fear of my parents. If I ddin't I would have ran all buck-wild crazy in high school, ect. Robert should just do what works for him, until the time comes (if it does) that it no longer works! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would think respect is more important. And while fear can lead to respect it doesn't always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think respect is much better than fear in just about all situations. I think having the ability to draw upon a hardass-ness is important as a leader though. His men should respect him and want to make him proud, which it sounds like they're doing. But if they mess up/step out of line, he needs to strike fear into their hearts, you know? Just my two cents..

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS -- I answered the questions you asked me over on my blog :) Thanks for the questions, I had a lot of fun answering them!

    ReplyDelete

Spread a little sunshine and comment!