January 18, 2012

33 Weeks---Good And Bad News

We are 33 weeks today Baby "G" and I couldn't be happier ♥

Really knocking these weeks down!

In fact, we might be seeing your sweet face sooner then planned. MIGHT. 

After weeks of trying to keep my blood pressure below the advised 140/90, my medical team (doctor, nurse and midwife) finally diagnosed me with gestational hypertension; a fancy word for high blood pressure due to pregnancy. I'm told this is in the disease "family" of preeclampsia/eclampsia which I was tested for last month and came out clean. However, I'm told it can develop at any moment so baby and I are being closely monitored for the rest of this pregnancy.

This condition can be really scary for mom and baby. Baby can show great signs of distress during this, so I am going in twice a week for fetal stress testing in addition to any extra urine and/or blood work that needs to be done weekly. I also have a fetal growth ultrasound scheduled in a few weeks to make sure baby girl is growing. I always love seeing her cute baby face:)

From the looks of my belly this week though, I'd say her growth isn't going to be a concern;) However, apparently preeclampsia can affect a baby's ability to grow as needed so they want to check it.

I honestly feel fine and I feel like baby girl is fine. However, I appreciate the doctors doing their job and erring on the side of caution. I REALLY AM THANKFUL! It definitely makes me feel more confident and that mom and baby are in very good hands:)

Baby "G" and I have 7 weeks left before our due date. However the longer I carry, the higher my risk of developing preeclampsia becomes. My doctor wants to inducing no later than 39 weeks considering my protein test comes back negative.

I'm SOOOOOOOO not down with this but if I don't pass the protein test I will be scheduled for an induction or a c-section almost immediately. I really wanted to go into labor naturally but I will do whatever it takes to deliver a healthy baby and keep a healthy momma around:)

I was talking with my midwife after being given the news/time frame/method of delivery and mentioned to her that I REALLY wanted to go into labor naturally if I pass the test. I asked her, "what is stopping me from trying to go into labor starting at week 37?" This is when you're considered full term anyway where it would be safe for the baby to arrive. She was very supportive of this decision and even suggested it!

So I will be starting evening primrose pills at 36 weeks as well as, maybe, some membrane sweeping to help the baby move down into the birthing canal. I hear this can be painful but I am willing to give it a try in order to not be induced. I know this isn't the case all of the time, but being induced by pitocin REALLY increases your chances of needing a c-section. This I am TERRIFIED of and will do anything to stop a cesarean birth.

Again though, I will do whatever it takes to deliver a healthy baby. I just feel like I still have some options at this point and want to try what I can.

In addition to the above I will be increasing my walking by A LOT and doing quite a bit of snuggling with the hubby;) Which brings me to the GOOD NEWS!!! R WILL NOT BE GOING TO THE FIELD AS PLANNED!!!

Bring out the trumpets and sound the horns!!! I was so relieved when he text'd me after my appointment, saying that the commander felt it wise to keep him home with baby and I. Just in case there were complications. Not to mention, being there for the bajillion appointments I have to attend the next 6 weeks.

I think I spiked his blood pressure with the doctors results and concerns but he lowered mine with this news:)

So that's what's going on in the Baby "G" household this week! I get to keep my hubby around this month and next and we might be meeting our daughter as early as 37 weeks or earlier:)

Just keep us all in your prayers and thoughts...

I am off to enjoy a little of that hubby time...R got a snow day because Washington decided to dump on us with 13 inches of AWESOME POWDER!!! It's been so much fun watching the doggies play in it!

Hot chocolate anyone?             


  1. Aw, yay! Glad your husband will be home. :) I hope you get the natural birth you're hoping for!

  2. So happy your husband is going to be home with you!! That is SUCH great news!

    I hope Baby G cooperates and comes out naturally as planned. Don't stress about the membrane sweeps! I went over my due date with Sam and had to have them done a couple times and I felt that it was about as uncomfortable as a Pap smear. So not too bad!

    Are you planning for a natural birth? Good luck either way and enjoy your hubby and the SNOW! (so jealous. On both accounts. Lol)

  3. yeah for the husband being home!! :)

  4. Yay! I'm so happy that he'll be home for the birth. Hope you are feeling well today and taking care of yourself.

  5. Yeah I bet the possibility of hubs not being around was affecting your blood pressure :) I know it can mine. That's great news!!

  6. I had preeclampsia with my first. I was good up until the very end, literally. I was tested twice and the second time at 34 weeks came back positive. I ended up having to be induced at 36 weeks. Being induced when your body isn't ready for baby to come yet is really hard on your body (and super painful). Get lots of rest and do what you can to avoid being induced ;) The good news is though is that just because you have (if you have it) pre-eclampsia with a pregnancy doesn't mean you'll have it with subsequent pregnancies. I made it through the last pregnancy without preeclampsia. I'm really hoping I don't develop it this time either.


Spread a little sunshine and comment!